Wider rail for Z-axis?

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by Chris Lane- Venturi 3D, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Chris Lane- Venturi 3D

I'm creating an E3D style toolchanging printer right now, but with some key differences.

I know it was stated that they wanted a really wide rail and I believe it's either 24 or 28mm on the current toolchanger.

Is there any reason not to go with a wider one than that, because there's wider ones out there, including a 42mm. The only difference I can see is that you have to mount it differently since it has 2 screw holes wide instead of one.

I'm considering going with Misumi rails due to the cost/quality ratio.

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Is there any reason to go with one wider than the one used? I guess this is probably going to come down to the question of how much carriage weight you plan on. The TC isn't using only the rail for strength on the X axis. The rail is mounted to a machined piece of steel which looks incredibly strong. If you're scaling up the rail because you want to carry more weight, you might need to scale that up also.

3. Chris Lane- Venturi 3D

For the price I can actually get a wider one it seems. I was just making sure there's no real downside to it. If wider is better/more stable, then why not go as wide as possible for the price...that's my consideration and I just wanted to make sure there isn't any reason not to go that wide.