Wiki for IDEX (Direct or Bowden)?

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Steven, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I find it very hard to follow these threads for IDEX....
    Can someone please make a Wiki to follow for concise directions on how to build?

The threads are like having 12 cooks in the kitchen and the recipe keeps changing.

JvdP, Proto_BB, Paul Begley and 2 others like this.
  2. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

I'd second this motion, also want to do an IDEX conversion but really don't have much idea where to start.

3. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

its a good idea, may you should contact E3D to put in there wiki

I am planning to install the chase version in 2 weeks, I will try to take notes and document some

mhe likes this.
  4. Proto_BB

Proto_BB Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm in that boat too. Some succinct instructions would go a heck of a long way.

5. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Well it will be a long journey and a risky one as I currently don't have a second printer to fall back to in case I mess up, but I will make a lot of notes along the way and hopefully can contribute towards making IDEX more viable for the less hardcore among us. There is no reason all of us should have to invest the tremendous time and effort to make it work, community is empowering for a reason.

6. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

Honestly I dont think assembling isnt any more difficult than any other axis. Its the fine tuning

7. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Well once the setup is complete in terms of being able to control the U axis and feed it models, the fine tuning is actually the part I am the least afraid of at the moment, but what do I know, maybe I'll start to fear it once I experience it! :>

8. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

I’ve also been wanting to move into the IDEX route. will probably see if i can stay on Marlin for the time being, I tend to stay up-to-date with the latest bugfix-1.1.x code, and it seemingly works ok for me (although i’ve not experienced the duet, so would illy change opinion as soon as i’ve tried it)

I like the look of using the Titan Aero’s and with Greg's Linear rail version. I may purchase completely new hot ends, especially with a 15% discount currently available, thus in principle allowing me to revert back if i had to. I neither have access to any other printer. (Besides I like the idea of building up my spares, so that I may eventually build a customised printer in the future :) )

Having a Wiki for specific upgrades would be great, it’s really difficult to keep up with 100’s of posts, the different parts/versions and the different routes people having taken. I know everybody customises, but it’s difficult to “reverse engineer” the route by following the various posts.

I’m certainly interested in the progress people make, and following along/contributing...