SOLVED Wiring problem?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Theo Michel, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Theo Michel

Theo Michel Member

Hi,
    Today was the first day that I had time (finaly) to make the first print with the BB. I have a factory assembled one
    (Pro V 1.1).
    - first time I switched it on the nozzle temp went all the way up to max (500 degr). The nozzle itself was cold
    - I switched it off and on again and all seemed to be normal again.
    - because I am used to print with Simplify3D with my other printers I imported the FFF profile that Alex9779 created.
    - when I start printing the famous Benchy with that profile the temperature rised to the temp that was set in Simpify3D but when it started to print it decreased fast until ( second layer) the message Thermal Runaway appeared.

What is causing this? Wiring?

2. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

Check some of the other posts regarding 'Benchy' it appears to have the fan settings too high as standard so people have been reducing the fans on the first few layers to get the print working properly.

3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

On the Kickstarter BB 1.0 this is before Titan was available... Thermal Runaway {TR} (odd term as the temperature is decreasing in most cases) was often caused by the print cooling fan(s) those left and right of the (in my case dual) extruders, being mounted too high. This had the effect of cooling the heater block by a few degrees, enough to trigger (TR)

Benchy as printed from the SD card, so already sliced, did print ok with PLA and with the fans running at what I assume was 100% they were certainly blasting away. This is what happened to me, odd that it printed with so much cooling but it did.

As soon as I attempted to print with PLA after printing Benchy I immediately got TR. Various people pointed out that it was probably the print cooling fans mounted too high and after I moved them to say just 1.5 mm higher than the nozzle, and turned off cooling for the first few layers then slowly raised the speed to 60% (max) at about layer 6 or 7, then TR went away. In s3d the temperature by latey settings are in Edit Process Settings, Temperature tab.

The cooling effect with the fan(s) too high was easily seen in OctoPrint.

On the BB 1.0 the duct on the fan housing can be seen to the side of the nozzle, this when the fan is mounted low enough should deflect the air away from cooling the heater block/nozzle.

You BB is a later model, possibly with Titan? but I suspect the reason for TR is the same.

Post what you have as this will enable people to inform you better than I.

4. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly the other point of view was, as you suggest, simply that you've got the fans incorrectly positioned ...

5. Theo Michel

Theo Michel Member

When I started printing Benchy I was not using any cooling, because I already had read the posts regarding the cooling fan position what could cause the Thermal runaway

6. Theo Michel

Theo Michel Member

To be exact....when the extruder leaves the dock the temprature is decreasing until the message "Thermal Runaway

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

What does the temp setting of the hotend say? Is it still set to the value that it should be?

8. Theo Michel

Theo Michel Member

I just tested it and the temp setting of 210 when it started became 0 in the 12th layer and the temp decreased from that moment and finaly the message Thermal Runaway

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

So let me recap this you start then it sits at 210 and what then? Starting from layer 12 it is set to 0? Or does it still sit on 210 but the temp drops?

Can you post your gcode file?

10. Theo Michel

Theo Michel Member

Hi Alex,
    I just tested with two generated gcodes "orig" is the gcode that was allready on de SD I got with the printer and "test" witch I made with was sliced with your new FFF file in Simplify3D. With both the temp drops when it leaves the dock for printing. The temp that was set stays in the screen until the message Thermal Ruanaway appears after this its zero.

Attached Files:

11. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok the files seem fine, you start with 225 and drop to 220 at layer 2...

So the value above the nozzle symbol still shows 220 or 225 but the lower with the current temp drops?
    What happens if you heat the nozzle manually and let it at the temp for a while? Does it drop too or does the error appear?

Is it possible for you to measure the resistance of the heater cartridge?

12. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

@Theo Michel I did not see whether @Alex9779 had asked if you had done a PID calibration as this can make a major difference.

13. Theo Michel

Theo Michel Member

I used the "Preheat PLA" in home position. The temp starts climbing to the 220 degr that is set and immidiately starts dropping when it reaches that

14. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh well I am dumb, yeah, do what @mike01hu says...

15. Theo Michel

Theo Michel Member

At 166 degr I get the message Thermal Runaway

16. Theo Michel

Theo Michel Member

Sorry guys, but how do I perform a PID calibration?

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Which firmware are you on? If you chose one of mine then you can do it from the LCD...

There is also a plugin for OctoPrint if you have the upgrade, or you do it from a host computer connector to the RUMBA and send some commands...

18. Theo Michel

Theo Michel Member

I really appreciate your help...The thing is that I am in 3D printing for more than 3 years with assembled printers (Leapfrog Creatr and Tripodmaker) both printed out of the box. With the assembled BB I had the same idea. But one thing that bothers me that I can't connect it to my PC with USB.
    So how can I perform firmware ore other updates? I don't even know what firmware I use with BB.

19. Bluemalu

Bluemalu Well-Known Member

Firmware is the "software" that lives on your hardware. When you switch on your printer you should see a splash screen that will give you the information about which version you have. Search the forum for "Firmware Update" as there is an excellent thread on how to install it and hopefully answer all your questions.

https://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/firmware-flashing-guide.708/

For PID tuning, once again let your fingers do the walking and search for "PID tuning" which again gives a couple different methods to carry it out.

https://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/pid-tuning.731/

PsyVision likes this.
  20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

@Theo Michel that is no problem but we didn't know your experience, knowledge and expectations. That is something we all have to guess from the info you gave us and this is not always easy.

Can you figure out what firmware version you have on the box? What does the splash screen look like when you power up the box? Can you take a picture?

Do you have the OctoPrint upgrade? If not then there should be an USB port in he back of the box.