Wiring (Re-wiring)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Syko_Symatic, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

Afternoon All,

I am going to be re-wiring my extruders to make them quick release using the molex adapted "cartridge" (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1645740) . I was wondering what the best suited AWG is and whether I could use the same for all the wires? As far as I am aware 22AWG should be suitable but I am no expert! Can anyone with a little more knowledge confirm/suggest?

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Syko_Symatic likes this.
  3. Syko_Symatic

Wow! I got a tiny bit excited about those mods! The nut height was one I had made myself as it had caused me a headache. Love the wire clamp/guide that is a beautiful touch. Did you change any of the wiring at all or use all the originals?

@Ephemeris Any advice on crimping those tiny terminals? I have done a few but am pretty hit and miss, I use a proper crimping tool but it's a nightmare!

#3 Syko_Symatic, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  4. Ephemeris

Syko_Symatic likes this.
  5. Syko_Symatic

Took your advice and ordered one from the UK version of the site (RS Components) although at £31 it was a heavy hit to take!

6. Ephemeris

Attached Files:

Stefan likes this.
  7. Syko_Symatic

@Ephemeris Any issues with the wires? I have my new bundles ready for my duet switch over and all are 22AWG. I just can't shake this feeling that it should be thicker?! Is yours fine?

8. Ephemeris

22 gauge stranded has a resistance of about 55 ohms per kilometer (55 milliohms per meter). Your cable runs are about 1.5 meters so call it 80 milliohms in each direction for a total of 160 milliohms. That's a pretty low resistance except possibly for the hot-end heater.

Assuming you are using the 30 watt 24 volt heaters, they have a nominal resistance of 19.2 ohms. So, your heater circuit's resistance is increased by 100*0.160/19.2 = 0.83% That's small enough to ignore I should think.

That also means that your wires dissipate 0.83% of the 30 watts you meant for the hot-end or about a quarter of a watt. That's a pretty small loss in efficiency that will warm the wires a tiny bit but certainly nothing to worry about.

9. Syko_Symatic

Thanks @Ephemeris that is the reassurance I needed. Going to need some help going forward! As you are running the same setup as me (minus the BLTouch?) could I trouble you for the files required for the DUET WIFI? I would like to familiarize myself with them before I go and rip everything apart!

On top of that, have you used a molex connection for the End Stop, Sensor and Cooling Fan cable bundle?

#9 Syko_Symatic, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  10. Ephemeris

I'm happy to share. I'll have to download the current versions from the Duet and zip them. I'll try to do that after work and PM them to you.

I may connectorize the end stop, z-probe, fan group at some point but right now they aren't bothering me.

11. Syko_Symatic

You sir are a legend.