Wolf bite Nano tip with PLA/PHA

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Henry feldman, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

So, the wolfbite is pretty magical with plain PLA (and entwined as well), but if you are using a PLA/PHA mix (which prints so nicely - such as from Adafruit), don't use Nano. It's like crazy-glue. Luckily the hot water technique and a lot of patience did mostly get it off the glass intact (mostly - a few torn bottom layers). I contacted Airwolf, and they said the PHA will stick, and not to use it. Just FYI...

2. Henry feldman

I discovered the PLA/PHA sticks nicely to the glass at ~50 and comes off nicely when done.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I always have problems with warping edges or corners when printing on bare glass no matter what temp I use...

4. Henry feldman

This flange and inner bezel printed dead-flat and fit like a glove with just the right amount of rotation... Ultimately this will be made of nylon with an inner retaining ring and 2 rotating bezels. This was just a size test in the plane. (this mounts over an airspeed indicator in my father's airplane to provide a compensation scale for temperature/altitude when painted on top with the appropriate scales). This was just silver PLA/PHA on bare glass.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok but these are perfect. I would assume I could print them too on bare glass.
    You have a little touching surface to the glass. You have no real forces pulling the edges due to the round shape and the big hole in the middle...

6. Henry feldman

I believe you are referring to the NEXT print I attempted last night... Wait for it, wait for it, boom... (amazingly the last one was actually OK)

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

How can I refer if I didn't even know it ;)
    But yeah that could happen...

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Off topic: Hello Dr. Feldman :) just watching your other videos on vimeo.... Nice to see people "moving and talking" you only know from text messages so far...

9. Henry feldman

That's a series of 100 videos we are making in the lab (those are raw shoots with examples for the editors- I just hacked some images/text in). Soon those will be done by the video editors looking really sweet. Shot those on my Canon 7D in a studio we built in our lab. This is all to try and free up time in our courses because we'd rather spend the time discussing then lecturing... When I told my division chief that it can take 15-30 minutes/minute of finished video to edit, he didn't believe me... But it's his project...

10. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

They are quite interesting too and your profile photo doesn't do you justice! :D

11. Henry feldman

That's my harvard med school faculty photo... I kind of use it for everything... What's really funny is those were all shot one after another. The editor told us to switch shirts so that it didn't look like one long shot across the whole course...

12. Henry feldman

@mike01hu this would be a more realistic profile picture, me looking harried and exhausted with a venti in my hand!

[​IMG]

mike01hu likes this.
  13. Henry feldman

And here are some of the more complex filming situations I deal with (that's me with my rig in the Thoracic Surgery suite). What's funny was one day I was asking my colleague something about the case I was filming (for a research project) and the nurse asked me how I seemed to know so much about medicine? (now mind you the red-tag ID I am wearing indicates I am a attending physician (consultant in UK speak) at the hospital)... The picture is slightly posed as the room lights are on (normally I am shooting at a F1.5-2.8 with ISO3200 because it is DARK)

[​IMG]

mike01hu and Westsidee like this.
  14. Westsidee

Westsidee Well-Known Member

Nice gear! I have a smal production company myself. That light can do much with that huge matbox in front of it.

15. Henry feldman

Haha, that's not what the light is for actually here. It's so I can find my way back to the camera in the dark... Yes, it is really that dark in the room... And so I can see the follow focus knob in the dark... I have it just barely on.