Wondering which stepper motor is best for Titan?

Discussion in 'Titan' started by JesperJuul, May 16, 2016.

1. JesperJuul

JesperJuul Well-Known Member

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

haha....they should just move that thread here. They were a bit late getting a category for the Titan and there are several Titan threads out in the wild that should be gathered here.

3. JesperJuul

Totally agree, but i would rather make this, than have a lot of people go out and buy the wrong motors. :)

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

<HI5> Yeah you put some great info in that thread for sure. I would have went a different way if I had that info at the time I purchased my motor. And I may still do that ;) I found a 21mm deep NEMA 17 with .9 deg step angle and 11Ncm. Less torque than the two reviewed, but 400 steps/rev. I know stock the BB came with a .9 stepper, but E3D is sending out 1.8s as the option with the Titan. Both would work. I just wish I could have one of each ;)

http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/09-nema-17-bipolar-stepper-12a-11ncm156ozin-17hm081204s-p-99.html

5. JesperJuul

I think 400steps/rev is overkill when you have a geared extruder, remember that a 200steps/rev becomes 600steps/rev after it has gone through the Titan. That should be plenty good resolution and i would rather have the extra push of the 18Ncm stepper.

But to be fair i'm not that sure we need it at all. The new Prusa i3 (original) have a direct drive extruder (no gearing) and the stepper motor looks like it is somewhere between 21Ncm and 26Ncm, and people are have great results with it, even at high printspeeds.

Hmmm... Still happy i got the 18Ncm stepper though. :cool::cool::cool:

6. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

I have read the other USA link. Are there any good suppliers / manufactureres of the lighter 13Ncm motors or similar in Europe? I'm looking high quality motors and money is not a big deal as I only need 2 :)

Thinking mostly on weight here and every gram saved!

7. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

8. burdickjp

burdickjp New Member

I picked up a pair of these a few months ago to try and found the shafts to be too short to properly support the idler arm. I have asked about some custom motors that are 25 mm deep, 400 steps per rev, with connectors and was informed that a minimum order would be 10 units. That's not terrible, honestly.