Worth it to overhaul?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Crashbombs, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Crashbombs

Crashbombs Well-Known Member

Is anyone still on this forum?

My printer works OKish. It prints, quality is decent.

My question is, is it worth it to overhaul this printer to make it better, or would it be better to just use it as is inside it capabilities and buy something else?

Things for a full overhaul would include a new main board, herma extruder, add a touch screen or better screen, maybe a new frame and linear rails, add dual extrusion.

I don't even know if a new / different frame is possible, it was just an idea.

My thoughts are after all of that time, work and money it might be better to just buy a higher quality printer.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Personally I would overhaul it. But It's a drag to modify because of the acrylic/wood frame. And the electronics are not readily available. If you treat it right and do the correct mods it is a very good printer.

A better controller is never wrong, and good rails could be a good upgrade. But I have seen people brag about improvements after changing the Leadscrew and motor: https://e3d-online.com/leadscrew-motor-with-pom-nut

For me dual extrusion has just been added complexity, I almost never use it and it limits the build volume unless you change the x-carriage and depending on extruder choice.

gonzalo likes this.
  3. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

It is a tough question... There are some nice printers out there for cheap but, if you know deep inside that you will start trying to mod and tinker the next machine too, then just keep working on the BB.
    Mine has become a solid monster: 3030 extrusion frame, dual IDEX direct Titan extruders on MGN 12 linear rails for X and Y, and the leadscrew motors for Z that Stian mentions above, Buildtak Magnetic Flexplate System for easy part removal, and upgraded Marlin to 2.0 so I can use Linear Advance.
    Maybe a brand new Prusa prints just as well with a single extruder, but I'm very proud of the fact that I built the whole thing myself!
    I have had great success with the second extruder for support material or dual color prints.
    But again, my hobby is to tinker with the machine and printing for fun, if you need to work with it, or if you just want to print stuff, maybe just buy a new one.

4. GrodanB

GrodanB Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree that if you would upgrade anyway you can keep tinker with BB.

Gonzalo: I'v been looking for exactly that upgrade to the XY-gantry. Do you have a build thread and maybe some instructions?

Would really like to copy this... I just logged on to ask if someone was doing this: https://forum.e3d-online.com/threads/modular-mirrored-titan.3175/ but with 12mm rods on XY... But Linear rails is my real wish...

But as I stated before: my CAD kung fu is not on the level where i feel that I'll succeed.

5. gonzalo

I would share but the problem is that I ditched the frame too, I'm on 3030 extrusions now so my machine shares very little with a BB now. there is no way to adapt my stuff to a BB frame, you are better off redesigning the whole gantry.

6. GrodanB

GrodanB Well-Known Member

Yes, you are right... Got my hopes up...

This is the reason NOT to continue on the BB. The really good users (that contributes) are getting fewer and fewer.

I'm one of the leaches that can only stand on the side and say thank you.

@Crashbombs: I think you should look at how much money you need to spend to get to a good level... I think could buy a new Prusa I3 mk3 for the money I spend on upgrading the BB... (not regretting it but if I would spend it in one go, this is not the smart thing to do...)

My printer prints good. I've not seen a worthwhile upgrade so far... But my friend has seen some prints from the Prusa and as I understands it they are really good. i.e better than mine...(I would like to see them first before I concede to that ;) )

7. Crashbombs

Crashbombs Well-Known Member

Wow thanks guys! @gonzalo can you put some pictures up of your new frame? I had that exact idea a few days ago.

I am kind of a tinkerer, for better or worse, nothing I own stays stock for long. So unless I bought a printer with no room for improvement I would probably try and upgrade it.

Thanks again!

8. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have Greg's IDEX Bowden setup modified to use Nimble extruders. (The carriage is very light this way). I also have the motor plus leadscrew and it does help.
    I am running Klipper firmware on the embedded controller and on a Raspberry Pi 3+ (there is room for it on the bottom of the case) and this allows the stepper motors to reach much higher step rates without dropping steps.

It works pretty well but it is getting old (I have printed well over 1500 items on it) and it needs constant TLC, so I am thinking about my next printer (which will probably have rails).

9. gonzalo

10. Russell

Russell Active Member

You mention the leadscrew, what does it add in terms of improvement, as I never really thought much about issues with the Z axis. The only thing Z related thats a pain is getting my first layer right (adhesion with PETG, or elephants foot with PLA).

Is it a quality thing? A noise thing?

I found this on the e3d site:

But translating that into how it actually affects a print is not quite clear for me (im still new to e3d printing in relative terms). And is the backlash nut worth it, ive read issues with that from some.

At the moment, I'm thinking the next best thing could be the stepper drivers for the noise (I've already done the Astrosyn Damper) or maybe Duet. But im kind of liking the Marlin with Octoprint atm, seems good enough? What else would a Duet add. Also thought perhaps heatsinks on some of the motors might be good. Just not quite sure where to attach them.

11. Kyle Schwab

Kyle Schwab Member

This is a great build! My frame is starting to come apart. Do you have a list of materials for this build?

12. Jingle

Jingle New Member

Does anyone have a link to cad files for me to print a Hermes carriage for a single extruder Bigbox pro?
    I'm looking to get back into it after a few years away, my CAD skills are very basic at the moment & I'm struggling a bit here. Many thanks.

13. Scasne

Scasne New Member

I got in on the Kickstarter for this years ago, only got in on the frame as was planning on modding my mendel, never happened, parts are now constantly failing so probably going to have a go at making a frame like that above (but want a 300x300 square bed) but i still have the MDF frame if there is something you need just PM me.

14. Russell

Russell Active Member

Old thread, but worth a shot. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the z-axis leadscrew and motor? It's no longer being sold on the e3d website.

15. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

eBay. Get a 4mm (ideal), 2mm (if no 4mm), 8mm (if no 2/4) pitch ~400mm length NEMA17 integrated leadscrew motor. It will need to be cut down to ~385mm. Check the mounting too, you might need to make an adapter for the bolt pattern. This should be easy to do.

16. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

If you used Duet without Octoprint you would get: instant startup (assuming you are running Octoprint on a Pi and so waiting for the Pi to start up), live monitoring of many more machine parameters in the web interface, quieter stepper motors, input shaping (currently in beta and working well), accelerometer support, conditional GCode, probably faster print pausing, and the ability to make configuration changes much more quickly (no need to recompile the firmware).

If you currently use any Octoprint plug-ins then you may wish to check whether equivalent features are provided by Duet Web Control.

The Duet 3 Mini would probably be the best Duet to use on a BigBox now. It's available in both WiFi (with separate antenna) and Ethernet versions.

[Disclosure: I work for Duet3D.]

BlaineT likes this.
  17. Martin Kretzschmar

Just last week, I ordered leadscrew motors from the E3D web store. It's hidden in the Toolchanger spare parts section and doesn't have a photo or specs listed. It's a NEMA 17, Integrated TR8*2 TR8*4 385mm lead screw, 1.8 deg steps, 1.33A (obviously Greg knows the specs, but in case anyone else reads this...). Comes with a POM nut.

#17 Martin Kretzschmar, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022