Would it have been easier to remove Rumba, layout wiring and refit?

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Sgllama, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Sgllama

Sgllama Active Member

Moving along slowly, I'm partway trhough wiring up the Rumba and finding it really fiddly feeding cables underneath, stripping fan leads with only a short length available after they re-appear at the front edge of the board and so on.

Any comments on whether it would have been easier/neater to have lifted the Rumba from its standoffs, laid down the wiring that has to pass underneath (ok, with lots of careful labelling of the ends), stripped and joined the fan wires more easily... then re-mounted the Rumba and put the connections, in working left to right?

The labelling would obviously be key, especially for a dual - permanent marker stripes on the leads from the LH cable bundle, perhaps. And a couple of strips of double-sided tape on the baseplate to tack down the wires whilst the Rumba was off.

2. Springfield-Jack

Springfield-Jack Well-Known Member

If I was to rebuild mine I would start with wiring up the Rumba and feeding the cables through to the motors etc.Seems like a more logical, less confusing approach with little room for error!If I was less lazy I'd re-write/re-order the instructions with this approach-it would avoid the fiddly, awkward parts of the build, like trying to wire things up through the access hatch!

3. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I actually did a sort of hybrid. I removed 3 of the screws and loosened the 4th, which kept it in place while I could lift the board (without bending it) and get wires underneath. Worked perfectly and was very easy. I did have to switch which was the remaining screw a couple of times.