SOLVED X-Axis motor wobble

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by ldaponte, Jul 26, 2016.

1. ldaponte

ldaponte Well-Known Member

Is this wobble (see video I shot below) an issue? I didn't drop the motor so shaft shouldn't be bent and I've spun the gear around but still wobbles.

-Larry

2. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

OMG
    Did you 1st fasten the grub screw on the flat part of the motor, and than tensioned the other one?
    Is there play between the gear and the motor shaft when both screws are out (or fully loosened?)
    Did you check when doing the same action without the gear if the shaft wobbles? In the video it doesn't look like it's doing that, but just to be sure.
    Hope you get it sorted fast

3. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd contact support if I were you.

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Check what @TimV said, I watched the video over and over and I can't see that the motor rod is wobbling, this seems steady so maybe the pulley is skew mounted of the pulley is damaged.
    Unmount the pulley, check it, if it looks good, mount it again, align one group screw to the flat side of the rod and tighten this grub screw and the the other grub screw... Then check again...

5. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I'm seeing that the grub screw is not on the flattened part of the shaft. You need one grub screw on the flat part to lock it down and the other as an extra tightening.

The red arrow is the flat part and blue are the grub screws.

upload_2016-7-27_13-34-25.png

PsyVision likes this.
  6. ldaponte

ldaponte Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. I had thought about having the grub screw going into the flat part of the shaft but it didn't make any difference. Here is a copy from the build manual of how they've attached the pulley gear to the shaft so I tried this last. when I loosen the two grub screws there is very very little play from side to side however when I spin the pulley gear on the shaft with the grub screws out, you can clearly see the wobble so, crazy as it sounds, the shaft hole in the pulley gear looks off center. I've tried the other two stepper motors and they're is no difference in the wobble. I found another gear with the same inner diameter and it does not wobble - its the pulley gear. Will order another.

-Larry

upload_2016-7-27_22-20-21.png

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.