Y-Axis Belts (belt appears to be fitted upside down)

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Old_Tafr, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Here..

http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/BigBox_Printer_main_assemblies:_Step_By_Step_Assembly_Process

Just following the note on what length to cut the belt (690mm) it shows the belt being fitted to the X-Axis Idler. (It does not indicate front or back of the Idler??) It is suggested the belt is upside down in the photo (with teeth downwards?) but to engage the teeth with the pulley on the rear bar it needs to have the teeth facing downwards which is the way the belt is in the picture "around the pulley"

The belt fits teeth upwards in the X-Axis Idler (if you look through the slots in the side panel you see teeth facing down to where it should locate, being held with a grub screw)

But if the belt is fitted teeth teeth up then the belt would have to be twisted 180o to engage on the pulley on the rear bar.

Pictures like the one with comment...

"Continue to feed the free end of the belt through the X-Axis Idler. " are not much help as it's impossible to see anything from the photo.

mike01hu likes this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Yes this is irritating.... the secret is that the belt will go back below the ball bearing which is not that visible in the build manual, I hope this image helps

IMG_20160312_095454.jpg

Old_Tafr and mike01hu like this.
  3. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Yeah, not sure why the seemed to economize taking pictures. Not like they are going to run out of bits! A few pics from the other angles and finished assembly go a long way since they are so sparse on directions...

4. gearmesh

gearmesh Well-Known Member

This doesn't look right. The grub screw is way to loose. The belt will not hold in place.
    Grub screw not tight.jpg

#4 gearmesh, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
  5. Old_Tafr

After sorting things and help from Stefan's picture mine went together ok.

What I did find was that the grub screw went quite deep into the printed part (it's a bit hit and miss as to how far it is fitted). Yours does not look as if it is far enough in, and is the belt pushed in far enough too? Far enough to engage with the teeth that is.

Recollection is a bit hazy but if I remember rightly I had to push the belt in with the tip of a small screwdriver so it engaged with the teeth in the printed part, then with my third hand tighten the grub screw. The trick was to tension the belt sufficiently before engaging it in the teeth. Without sufficient tension it's impossible to tension it with the Y-Axis fitting at the front.

6. gearmesh

Thanks.
    You were right as I did not push the belt in deep enough. I think they should add some clearer photos. From inside the case, after i pushed the belt in deeper, it went together great.
    Belt solved.jpg

Old_Tafr likes this.
  7. Old_Tafr

Excellent photo, maybe we can get it included in the build WiKi !

8. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

You need to push the grub screw well into the hole and it will grip.

9. RTBiscuit

RTBiscuit Well-Known Member

I'm having major issues trying to get the y axis belts to stay put. have spent 3 hours faffing with the grub screw and belts on both sides. I have used a screw driver to push them in, i've checked to make sure the belt is right in and pushed to the back, I've tried with the grub screw and and screw driver at the same time.

but everytime i tighten up the y axis belts one end pulls out of the carriage. i even try fitting the grub on its own. but they all seem a bit loose, with or with out a belt.

is there anything i can add to pad the area out to make a better grip?

10. gearmesh

Make sure the grub screw is not crunching the belt into a non-flat surface, it should only be wedging the tooth side of the belt against the side of face of the plastic that the teeth face. Does that make sense? Not sure I worded that very well.

11. RTBiscuit

thanks gear mesh, that's what I've been trying to do. Will have another go tonight. But might add extra bolts in

12. RTBiscuit

I had issues with all 4 grub screws, but found a solution that didn't require glue. I used a 15mm tacking pin cut the head off and wedged it between the belt and the grub screw at the back. has applied the extra pressure needed, and can still undo it by unscrewing the grub screw.

13. gearmesh

I only knew because I my belt was doing that and it wasn't well explained in the instructions. Glad I could help.