Y axis drifting while printing. (Was solved... I thought)

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Miasmictruth, May 4, 2016.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Wow I just noticed the whole 3rd layers is kinda messed up, it not really noticeable in the print but most of the 3rd layer is straight up missing..

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's what I wrote here.
    I reexported the files from the 123dx files with 123D again to STL and then they sliced well...

3. Miasmictruth

Ahh missed that thread, I do remember skimming it but dont always have enough time to thoroughly read them all :/ thanks again Alex, I am going to let this one continue to print to see if it still messes up on the Y axis then I will try again with a reexported stl.

4. Miasmictruth

Two hours in, still OK but not yet as high as the typical fails. Probably another 1-1.5 hours

5. Miasmictruth

Much to my delight and almost as much dismay it has made it further then any print in recent history so far. I say dismay because if it is the voltages and will be angry with myself...

6. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up, we all make these deviations in 3D printing. Too many things to keep in mind!

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Really glad it seems now working for you.
    Sorry I followed your conversation but I didn't want to ask such a trivial question.
    Maybe you had the voltage at a very special point, maybe temperature had an influence so the stepper driver cause skipping only for a short amount of time, maybe only at a special point in the print.

I just can say if I have a problem I check the essential issue guides, that's where I took from what I told you.

8. Miasmictruth

Well like I said I was following the voltage Elmoret had suggested and even increased it significantly just not all the way to .57

5.75 hours and still solid

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah that's ok, I tried it too, but as said, I had no success with it.
    At first I believed the arguments too that because of the gear ratio not so much power is needed for the Y motor but now I think that might be not correct.
    Yes it needs less force, but still the motor has a rated current he operates at. That current produced the magnetic field holding and moving the rotor in the motor. So if you give the motor less he needs but maybe enough to get it moving, there might be circumstances where something happens, maybe a combination of moves of moves of the X axis, that change that, maybe only for some milliseconds, but enough to skip/miss steps...

So now I have all my stepper drivers at the recommended values of E3D because these voltages on the delivered stepper drivers deliver the current the motors are rated at only with a slightly higher setting for the Z axis because there are two motors sharing the current...

Miasmictruth and mike01hu like this.
  10. Miasmictruth

So here is the verdict I suppose you can call it. Thanks everyone for you help once again.

IMG_20160508_203516.jpg IMG_20160508_203443.jpg

And just for fun this was what I was doing with my laser cutter while waiting for the print, this is my sister's artwork she wanted a coaster :)

IMG_20160508_153909.jpg

Pierce and Alex9779 like this.
  11. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

@Miasmictruth Sorry for leading you astray! Perhaps we're running different accelerations/belt tensions/etc. I have been running those numbers since early January now, no skipped steps experienced.

The fact that lower (~0.3v) reference voltage worked for weeks for you and no longer does points to either:

1.) Increased acceleration setting / increased speed setting
    2.) Increased friction or payload

Have you changed your firmware, acceleration, or speed settings in the time leading up to this?

12. Miasmictruth

Haven't touched the firmware for weeks either, I thought it was friction too so I started out greasing then swapping bearing ect. It's OK dont worry about it, i dont know why it stopped working but it is now so yay lol.

13. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I took your stl file and printed it fine using s3d, 0.4 nozzle, 0.32mm layer height, 15% infill (not sure what you used) and original firmware worked a treat. I had upped the layer height so that it would print more quickly.........but it still took over five hours.

Glad my suggestion on voltages was correct. (But looking back it was Greg who suggested voltages first ! ) I may take a picture of the print but as your print worked then academic now.

#53 Old_Tafr, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  14. Miasmictruth

I listed the thread as solved and updated the 1st post with the solution. We can of coarse to continue any discussions if you think its worth while but I feel like this problem is solved thanks again :)

Old_Tafr and Alex9779 like this.
  15. Miasmictruth

So it happend again last night when I was trying to reprint the dragon Aria.

No slipping which I can verify as the shafts are marked and the voltage is at .582

Changes, I upgraded to the 1.1 Titan extruder set up recently, I am not sure why but when the stepper I bought wouldn't move on the extruder (yes at temp) so moved it to the Y axis and tried to jog it still nothing. When I hooked the Y axis back it wouldn't move, the stepper seemed to have blown the driver. I had some cheapo drivers laying around so I put that in and set the voltage.

I printed 1 Aria in edge and it was very globby so did a much of little things to try and fix that and reprinted. This is what I found this morning

IMG_20160526_084633.jpg

The shift is about 12mm. I have pololu black drivers comming and maybe that's all it is.

Any thoughts?

16. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

The voltage is a little high, try it at 0.55

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe the voltage is different for the different stepper drivers?

18. Miasmictruth

Possibly since it's a cheap driver but same model thats in the BigBox but it's all I had on hand, I don't have any good documentation for it as such. I will just wait for the pololu blacks to come in.

Didn't realize .03 volts would make that big of a difference. I need a meter probe with a screw driver tip.

Thanks for the responses

19. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

It can be a little missleading as the voltage isn't technically a setting, its more of an indicator of what the setting actually is. So you're not adjusting the current by 0.03v you're adjust the setting of the current by 0.03v. It could be akin to measuring the rotation of a a tap where you are taking a reading of the position of the tap, rather than the flow through the tap valve itself.

20. Miasmictruth

Is there way to measure the actual current, not sure where you could insert a meter into the circuit without cutting traces.