y axis leveling issue

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by hammy, Sep 22, 2016.

1. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

When the printer goes to the back of the printer to level it doesn't stop just bumps the back of the printer and I have to turn it off. I did a reset on the rumba and went through all the steps of commissioning again to no avail. Any suggestions? If I can fix this my printer will work and boy do I want to start using it.

2. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

The print carriage should move toward the front of the printer when homing, not the rear. I don't know if this would be the cause, but check to see if you plugged the y axis motor into the Rumba board correctly.

3. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

no no the homing finishes and works fine but when it does the leveling it starts at the front and checks the 2 points then when it moves to the back of the printer it bumps the back instead of stopping.

4. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Could you have the x and y stops mixed up? Which firmware are you using?

5. W1EBR.Gene

After running "Auto home" go to "prepare>move axis>1mm>y axis" and see if the reported position if the actual nozzle location. The check whether moving 10mm or so using the control know actually moves the y axis by that amount. I think that information will help you in the search for your answer.

6. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

if I had the x and y endstops messed up wouldn't it have a issue trying to auto home?

7. Kanedias

When you autohome it just goes as far as it can till it reaches the end stops on each axis, that's all. That'll be the front left corner. If they were switched it means it thinks you have a 200 wide by 300 deep bed. Which might explain the behaviour you're seeing.

or the bed dimensions and home position could be wrong in the firmware, which is why I wondered which one you've installed.

8. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

How do I find out what firmware and it does do the left side when I home.

9. Kanedias

Well if you haven't changed it then it'll be the stock version for your BB.

When the autohome finishes the extruder carriage should be in the centre of the bed, what does the LCD display as X, y and z co-ordinates?

10. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

175, 100, 1.8 i think is my x

11. W1EBR.Gene

My best guess is that Kanedias is right - see if x and y end switch connectors have been swapped on the Rumba board

12. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

switched them and they definitely are not swapped. When you swap them and hit auto home the printer just goes to y endstop and bumps the wall until i turn it off. Sooooo is x 175, y 100, z 1.8 correct position to end at for autohome? I can then get the printer to go to 0,0 perfectly so it should know where to go. Let me ask you guys this what is the setting that determines the x and y max? Right now I have the below for anything x or y

Vmax X = 150
    Vmax Y = 150

Amax X = 1000
    Amax Y = 1000

X Steps = 160
    Y Steps = 180

13. W1EBR.Gene

Yes, that is the right position for autohome with the stock firmware.

You said it goes to 0,0 perfectly, so I assume that means that you go there by using the move axis menu options and the LCD display tells you it is at 0,0 and that's where the nozzle is actually located; is my assumption correct? If my assumption is correct, it should mean that you have the right gear on the y-axis motor and the right number of microsteps being used for the x and y axis.

Let's rule something out as a possible problem. Try this - using the LCD menu, do "Control>Restore failsafe" and then go back and look at x and y steps (this will require you to reset the z offset again. After you have fixed the z offset,do a "Control>save memory") The motor stepping done to move the axis a given distance is a combination of the motor's degrees per step, the Rumba board's microsteps setting for that motor (done with jumpers underneath the stepper chip board for each motor) and what the firmware says are the steps per mm for that motor.

For Autohome to get the nozzle to 175,100 the settings should be correct for both the x and y axis motors. For my y-axis motor, which is a 0.9 degree per step motor (it is larger than the other stepper motors; check what yours is) and microsteps set to 16x, the steps per mm in the firmware is actually 360. The reason I want you to do a "restore failsafe" is to make sure that what you see displayed on the LCD is actually the value the firmware is using.

The only thing I can guess with what I know so far is that the "level bed" command is using coordinates that drive the y axis beyond the end of the bed. Doing a "Restore failsafe" might also fix that problem.

I hope this is helpful - this is what I would do if I had the same problem.

Gene

#13 W1EBR.Gene, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  14. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

Sigh I actually restored to failsafe yesterday and no dice. Also there is something you mentioned that maybe is wrong on mine the y-axis jumper is only on one pin, this is how it came to me, every other one is on 2 pins is that correct? I'm pretty sure my y-axis motor is also a .9 the only ones that are 1.8 are the z axis motors.

15. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

Also how would I find out / edit the level bed coords for y axis?

16. Kanedias

Just double checking but you haven't changed the firmware from the one it came with? If it was a default version of Marlin the bed configuration would be incorrect.

If you try the autolevel (poised with your finger by the power switch) when it moves long Y past the end of the bed is it reading the co-ordinates correctly, does it read 200 or more on the LCD?

17. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

y is told to go to 185

18. Kanedias

Where are you getting that? I've just run bed level and it finishes at x289 y157

Bed dimensions are set in the firmware and can't be changed from the LCD menu.

So when you run autho home the carriage moves forward till it hits the stop, then left till it stops then back the middle and raises the bed correct?

You mentioned One of the end stops had only one pin? Can you post a picture of what you mean? The switchs are in X- and y- and should look the same

#18 Kanedias, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  19. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

20. Kanedias

I checked mine and its the same so that's not the problem