Y-Axis Potentiometer Voltage is Constant

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by hammy, Aug 19, 2016.

1. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

When I do a readout for my Y-axis potentiometer it shows as 4.9 Volts. All the other ones show the correct .55 - .6 volts. How do I fix this?

2. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

Ok so this sucks I switched the x-axis for the y-axis and the y-axis moves so definitely not the wiring or motor. So how do I go about fixing the potentiometer do I need a new one or is there something I can do? I can't really move forward with the build until I fix this.

3. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

I don't think there is much you can do other than contact support and get an new driver.
    I think i saw from a previous post that you have a dual? Then I would just use the driver for the second extruder to complete the build and get started printing while waiting for a new driver.

4. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

So just pop it out and pop in the one for the second extruder hmmmm ill try it.

5. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

If an item came in an anti-static bag that you need to use anti-static precautions whenever you touch it not just when you first fit it, so adjusting the voltages, removing and re-fitting driver boards etc. needs anti-static precautions..........like.... ground yourself on a metal fitting on the back of your desktop PC or similar is sufficient, or use an anti-static wrist strap which plugs into a mains socket earth pin.

The driver board usually has a power MOSFET which is susceptible to damage from static, + the BB has a lot of static when you remove the protective layer from the acrylic, plus according to some people the printer generates static in use. A frame made from acrylic does not help discharge any static that does build up. I guess a wooden frame is safer :) but you still need to be careful with boards like the Rumba.

Static damage is also often not immediate, i.e. it does not result in a sudden catastrophic failure, more likely a failure over time with some odd effects.

6. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

Nope I doubt its static, it simply doesn't change voltage I sent a request to support and I did tohara's idea and it worked! So I'll be using this printer as a single extruder until I get a new chip for my board. Also Old_Tafr I'm an IT professional so I thank you for the tip but believe me I'm well aware of the dangers of static I'm very careful to keep grounded.