YAWP - Yet another warp problem

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by UlrichKliegis, Sep 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    after printing many parts without any problems on my present OrdBot, equipped with that wonderful E3D V6 hot end, I came to a limit today. Trying to print the basic cable chain elements from this set, I found that the small ends of the protruding structures that form an overhang warp up from the second layer on.

PLA, bed temp 77°C on the first layer, 59° on subsequent (cooling down pretty slowly), nozzle temp 225° on the first layer, 210° on subsequent ones, no extra nozzle/object cooling

warp_20150920_2.jpg warp_20150920_1.jpg

Obviously, at some height, the material that stands proud too high then is in the path of the nozzle, and there is a looser of that conflict. The object is pushed away.

What can I do to get a flatter print? This kind of error occurs here for the first time (maybe due to the fact that overhangs did not occur often here, at least not so small ones).

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Cheers,

U.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What do your cooling fans look like?

3. UlrichKliegis

So far, I got along without a cooling fan. But I feel the time has come now. Just built a monster holder for a 60mm fan, it's a bit kind of tricky to integrate that into my experimental mechanics, but I will report on the results.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

PLA definitely needs cooling, especially for overhang. Good luck

5. UlrichKliegis

Installed cooling fan (sort of a jury rig-up, but it works...) , immediate success - warpless overhangs, a cleaner appearance - innovation, quality, future... ;)

Will have to re-adjust the bed temperature, though, since the cooling fan seems to cool it down beyond the holding temp - but that's ok and easy to do.

Now I'll just have to design something more elegant and slimmer than the frankenstein fan I mounted now. It's a combination of a 60mm fan and a circular nozzle surrounding the V6.

6. e3duser

e3duser Active Member

Consider printing in PETG. No fan, no smell, no warp, and much stronger than PLA.

7. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I print much cooler about 45 on the bed and 190 on the hot end. Been playing with 3d eez for a surface coat so works amazing.

8. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

#8 Miasmictruth, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
    Mike Kelly likes this.