Yet more Star Wars and a T-Rex skull

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Pierce, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Been playing with the volcano this weekend, got carried away and have gone through my e3d everyday white already, notice in first picture where I switched out for some ink3d.ie white which is a bit more see through and gives a slightly smoother finish!

Everything printed .4mm layer height at 50/60mm/s using the 1.0mm nozzle heated to 195C.

t-rex printed at 150%, falcon at 125%.

IMG_20160410_204336.jpg
    The full weekend set
    IMG_20160410_211749.jpg

Hand for added scale as I don't have any banana's,
    IMG_20160410_211812.jpg

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I suspect the ink3d filament was actually feeding less well, and therefore "fixing" what looks like overextrusion before the change. From the distance shown the falcon looks awesome and the vase looks predictable good; seems vase mode is a big crowd pleaser.

3. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

@Spoon Unit Yes I suspect so, and the everyday e3d is a very matt white compared to the ink3d which seems semi transparent.

You can't beat the vase mode, especially with a volcano 1mm nozzle, it is SUPER SOLID compared to my .4mm versions which have a lot of flex, I did do a water test but the base failed me.

4. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Same here. I think some sort of sealant is needed around the base. With the thicker nozzles, you probably don't need sealant much further up. It's tempting to just spray something in through the top onto the base, or reach in with a brush to coat something on the base. I haven't tried either yet. I just don't want to spray the really well printed exterior unless I'm really spraying the entire exterior to give a completely different finish.

5. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Yeah same, I am sure I read someone just putting super glue over the inside Base. I think in a few weekends time I may venture into spray painting, I'll see how it goes. I think the t Rex skull is going to be sanded and filled a bit then a nice Matt white coat could be nice. Next to print the Base!