You guys have a throat to nozzle transition problem.

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by terramir, Jun 23, 2018.

1. terramir

terramir New Member

Talking all metal not ptfe lined I look at the throat and nozzles thought this was a clone problem but I looked at your pictures and I couldn't believe you guys designed it this way. There is a bit of an increase of diameter where the transition is between the nozzle and the throat. I think its called chamfering. This gives the molten filament a chance to expand and eventually jam right there.
    Why would you design this like this. I designed an all metal hotend about 6 years ago years ago based on a ss throat a brass nozzle and a thin steel piece holding the transition together any gaps were the 1st thing I was trying to avoid.
    Of course I did not have enough tools handy or the experience at the time to finish that project. But the throat shape on the hot side seems counter intuitive a flat surface with the filament hole dead center seems better to me.
    terramir

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

What exactly are you referring to? Could you mark up a diagram?

And there is no "throat" on an E3D hotend. There is a heatbreak, though.

3. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

If you are referring to the chamfer on the heatbreak outlet hole, this is required for both machining and for the part to function. At this stage in the hotend the filament is fully fused and flows very easily. Therefore this gap gets filled and does not offer any more resistance. If this chamfer was not there, there would be a higher risk of burrs and this would prevent the nozzle from mating properly against the face of the heatbreak. The same chamfer exists on the opposie nozzle side for the same reason.
    This also has the added benefit that if you use third party nozzles which are not machined properly and where the hole is not aligned on either the break or the nozzle, our parts should still work properly.