Your Questions about the Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'General' started by LiviLammister, Mar 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LiviLammister

LiviLammister Active Member

Apparently a lot of people are curious about the Titan extruder, and as some of you may have noticed, my BigBox (the white/grey acrylic one) was equipped with one at MRRF 2016.

I've actually had the extruder for a while now, but for obvious reasons I was not allowed to discuss it or show it on camera. Now that it has been announced, I think it is pretty safe for me to discuss my opinions and answer your questions! So if you have any questions, fire away!

Personally, I love the new extruder (especially the newest iteration). It's light, compact, easy to load filament, and hasn't broken yet. My only complaint is that the screws in the fixing kit are just long enough to mount it to a 2mm thick plate. There is a printable, 2mm thick plate that you can use to mount it but you will need to get some new screws if you want to mount it to the back of your BB for a bowden drive

Alright! Question time!

PsyVision likes this.
  2. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

Livi,
    Some pics of your assembly?
    It looks great. There just aren't any pics or anything in the store yet so was wondering about it.
    Might have to place an order....

3. LiviLammister

Sure thing!
    [​IMG]
    This is what the extruder looks like for the most part (there is supposed to be a lever in there somewhere, but I am using all my levers right now).

[​IMG]
    Here you can see a fully assembled one on my BigBox

[​IMG]
    Here is a good shot of how close the filament guide is to the hobbed bolt. As you can see, they are very close, so flexible filaments shouldn't be a problem. This is the first 3mm Titan I have assembled (read: I haven't figured it out yet), but the 1.75 versions are lined with PTFE from just under the top of the filament guide to the heat break, so loading filament is extremely easy.

[​IMG]
    So, this isn't the extruder, but it's my favorite part: pancake motors! The Titan is geared 3:1, so you can get away with using baby motors. The silver motor is what came with my original extruder carriage and the black motor is the size of the motors I am using on my new extruder carriage.

The motors I am currently using can be purchased here (the black one pictured is a 400 step/revolution version that I have yet to try)
    http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...or-35v-1a-13ncm184ozin-17hs081004s-p-101.html

My Titans originally came with larger motors. I actually bought the small one because I was given the challenge of finding the smallest motor possible to see how much weight could be reduced. I didn't actually expect the baby motor to work, but it did!

PsyVision likes this.
  4. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

Very nice. I am going to have to pick these up.
    Thank you very much.
    But so far it has been very easy to use? No issues with what filament you have been printing with?

5. LiviLammister

No issues whatsoever. Take that with a grain of salt though, as I haven't had a chance to try out a wide range of filaments yet. I might pick up some Ninjaflex soon, just to see how it goes.

6. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

So with geared extruders, we get weight reduction which results in possibility for faster acceleration speeds (as mentioned in your other thread). What's the fastest acceleration speed that can be had with the stock BigBox direct drive extruders? And how fast are you able to ramp the acceleration speed up on the Titan and still have comparable results of stock BigBox extruder? Lastly, how does the Titan compare to other geared extruders on the market?

Also, the location of the PTFE looks promising.

#6 Trevor, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  7. LiviLammister

These are all excellent questions that I, unfortunately, cannot really answer. Aside from the Gregs Wade, this is the only geared extruder I have worked with, and I would take a Titan over a Greg's Wade any day.

As for acceleration, you have to consult with the materials guys on that (and by materials guys, I mean @Sanjay ). I would love to learn more about the materials science aspect of 3D printing, but for now I will refer you to the expert.

8. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

No problem. Jealous you get to play with it before any of us. Any word of when the Titan will be officially released?

9. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

"2-3 weeks"

10. Mike Oda

Mike Oda Member

Looks pretty amazing. Have you printed with flex filament yet?

I guess I now know what my first upgrade will be. ;)

11. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

How about a photo of the printhead without the extruder attached?

Does the size reduction bring bigger print area to the dual?

That would give me reason to upgrade from Pro to dual, yet first I'd be curious to go from Pro to Pro-Titan.... Is there a printhead design for that? And yes, can someone spell out the details of what might bring... is it better print quality at higher speeds, because the print head can better keep up with - and then not overshoot - Marlin's orders?

12. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Oh and is the black part of the extruder box printed or moulded plastic?

13. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

What does it bring apart from being lighter and smaller?

14. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Has anyone used the pre-order item on the E3D site??

15. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

where is it?

16. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

17. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

Just search Titan on the site and you will find the re-seller version for pre-order. £45 assuming Dual requires 2 £90!!

18. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

is there a carriage design for it already? Why nt OEM? I am not reselling it ....

19. Syko_Symatic

I'm sure it would not matter either way. I just imagine machine builders to be companies rather than individuals, but we did build our machines!

20. Syko_Symatic

So currently for Dual setups would it require one in Bowden and one standard setup?