COMPLETE Z-Axis Bed Assembly (Vague Instructions)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Old_Tafr, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I have never seen a completed Z-Axis Assembly so the first photo does not mean anything to me.

There are two laser cut acrylic parts and it is immediately obvious which is needed first but the next instructions as to which way up the part is and which way the "nuts" (they are not nuts) are fitted is not so clear.

"Install the two Brass Nuts to the Top layer of the heated bed.
    Make sure the nuts are attached to the side with the text engraved. "

Does that mean place the bed with the engraved text saying "Top Face Down" face down and inset the "nuts" from underneath? so the boss of the nut is underneath on the engraved side If so then say so :)

(it's the word "attached" which is confusing)

Sometimes the attached makes sense but it could refer to the "nuts" OR to the set screws.

Even simpler.......Insert the brass nuts from the engraved ("Top Face Down" ) side......... and fasten in with the 10mm set screw and washer.

2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

Updated, thank you, I also was a little confused with that.

3. Old_Tafr

There always appears to be a major inconsistency in how the "brass nut" is fitted.

Looking at the series of pictures on this page http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/BigBox_Printer_Sub-assemblies

Looking at the first picture the very first picture labeled "Brass nut" it shows the smaller diameter part pushed THROUGH the acrylic so it protrudes through to the side with the set screw heads. You see the brass part protruding HIGHER than the set screw heads.

Now look at the Screwed Corner or Finished top pictures and they show the brass nuts fitted the other way up so that the smaller diameter section must be pointing out on the engraved side. i.e. the the larger boss section of the brass nut is fitted flush to the surface on the engraved side. You may have to click on the pictures to get a larger image.

Which is right?

4. Old_Tafr

See next post :)

5. Chase.Wichert

Yup, you are right. Interesting, I am not sure what the proper way is now, lol. I'll try to figure that out.

6. Old_Tafr

Later on the smaller section of the brass nut is protruding again. Just above the Levelling the bearings picture.

7. Old_Tafr

Soon? :) I don't want to proceed until I know.

8. Chase.Wichert

I just sent a message to Greg, I have my the way of the first image.. but that doesn't really mean anything lol.

9. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I've seen a picture of a BigBox at BB HQ that had them protruding upwards, I have mine that way and it works fine.

10. Chase.Wichert

Yup the first image is correct, with the Brass Nut coming out of the top of the acrylic.

11. Old_Tafr

Under Centres pic is screws pic..

Check the top layer matches the same orientation as the Bottom Layer.

Fit the M3 screws through the bed. (from above?)

12. Chase.Wichert

Yeah, if you look at the picture it shows the brass nuts (which protrude from the top of the assembly) and the M3 screw heads are shown, so it is from the top.

13. Chase.Wichert

I just added, from the top.

14. Old_Tafr

Bed Corners. Need a note to say BEFORE you fit them make sure the bearing if free to move as it has to be aligned later.

Mine were quite a tight fit. Now that they are sandwiched between the upper and lower plates, even though the clamps are loose it is impossible to move them. And now they cannot be removed (without dismantling the upper and lower plates) to free up the bearing a little by maybe sanding the inner surface of the printed part.

15. Old_Tafr

Also the set screws used for the clamping are too short, just at the point the clamp is loose enough for the bearing to move, now that I have used a roll of extra fine emery paper in a roll to smooth the inside (don't use a dremel) the screw comes loose and the nut falls off. There is no reason why the set screw can't be 2 or 3 mm longer.

16. Chase.Wichert

I didn't have an issue with the screws being too short and I was able to push the bearings with a ruler, although they were kind of sticky... I'll see about the bearings and how to word it appropriately.