Z-Axis calibration - bed not all the way down

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Tetrikus, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Tetrikus

Tetrikus Well-Known Member

The manual says to the z-axis calibration:

Via the menus run the bed all the way down to the bottom.
    [​IMG]

I can move the bed to position Z: +280.0, but it is far away from the picture above. I have about 35mm between the bottom part and the bottom side of the table. On the picture, it looks like there should be only about 20mm. What am I doing wrong?

I feel like the calibration manual is quite hard to understand and follow and my printer seems to do things which I do not understand some times. :) I'm sure there is a way to bring the bed further down, but how?

Thank you very much for your help!

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

That's a nice problem to have.

In my case Marlin went apeshit and crashed the bed into the floor. I had to cut the power. Then the bed woudn't move up again. Finally did so with an auto-home.

My guess is that you could calibrate there and it won't make any difference. But you could always turn the lead screws manually (holding them with your hands) to take it to the very bottom. When eventually you auto-home it just keeps on going up until the IR says "stop!"

3. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

The standard limit on z travel is 280mm but you can actually get 300mm if you change thr firmware limit, so all the way down with the default 280 isn't actually to the point that the bed bottoms out. As a side note you might have to mount the brass nuts the other way round to get to 300mm of travel.

4. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

5. Tetrikus

Thanks for your answers! I somehow managed to calibrate z - letˋs see how long it will remember. Anyway, the brass nuts are mounted ´wrong´ on this picture, in regards to the build manual. :)

6. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Mounted your way you can't be sure that it's really in line. It depends on how you tighten the screws.
    This is what the manual says: Insert the Brass Nuts from the underneath side of the Top Layer of the heated bed (The flange should be on the side with the engraved text).

7. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

I had a discussion with Greg during my livecast build and he said either way works but having them inverted is how he tends to have them.

8. Tetrikus

Well anyway, I was a bit surprised, when I noticed, that the brass nut ist mounted the other way around on this picture. But it sounds like it doesn't really matter.

Back to topic: I was able to move the bed down with a small 'hack'. :) When I moved it down to 280, powered off and powered back on. the bed was then at the same position but thought, that it is on 0.00 - so I was able to move it further down.