Z-Axis Calibration

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by C.C.M., Oct 6, 2016.

1. C.C.M.

C.C.M. Member

After performing the Z-axis calibration, the bed no longer moves and makes a not so nice sound. Is this from over tightening the screws on the steppers motors and brass nuts? I loosened everything back up and everything seems to be back to the way it was prior to Z-axis calibration with the exception of the stepper motors skipping/missing steps (I think that is the noise, not sure though). Is there a recommended torque for the screw or is it just wing it?

2. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Did you set the right voltage on your stepperdrivers?
    Could you post a movie (with sound) of the occurrence?

3. Boerta

Boerta Member

This sounds exactly like me overtightening the brass nuts last night. I have no idea what the correct torque is, but I just tightened it with my fingertips on the allen wrench, and it was fine. Oh, and move it up and down between tightening each screw, so you know it's still working.

C.C.M. likes this.
  4. C.C.M.

C.C.M. Member

@Tom De Bie the stepper motors are at the correct voltage (0.55-0.60V) though I did find some post last night about dropper the voltage to 0.45V to rid the BB of the nasty sound. I will try and get a video of it doing it. Though as I said the once I loosened everything up it seemed to return to normal.

@Boerta I think I saw your other post about a similar noise/result which made me think maybe I had over tightened the nuts, oops. Hopefully I didn't damage anything. How is yours running now?

5. Boerta

Boerta Member

Yeah, I overtightened the screws around the brass nuts on my first attempt. I think it forces the brass nut out of alignment with the lead screw, and effectively clamps it. It works fine now, but I haven't gotten the time to finish commissioning yet. Hopefully I will this weekend.