Z Axis makes a TERRIBLE NOISE when coming back down...

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Robert James Rudzek, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Robert James Rudzek

So this is my first 3D printer... So i'm pretty sure this is user error... But everything is running smoothly... autohome works just fine... I go to lower the bed back down just to check the Z Axis, low and behold it makes a terrible high pitched metal on metal grinding noise... Both couplers down below are super tight, but it seems to be where the noise is originating from...

HELP. I don't even know where to start on this :(:eek::confused:

2. Robert James Rudzek

NEVERMIND... in continuing the commissioning ... the lithium grease made literally ALL the difference.

Good talk guys.

Stefan, PsyVision and Mike Kelly like this.
  3. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Mine is a bit squeaky as well...guess I should invest in some lithium grease as well!

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

The bed on my BB moved wonderfully easily with just the four smooth rods in place, once the two threaded rods were installed and even after the adjusting and bed levelling was done movement (under power) in the Z direction was squeaky. Again lithium grease worked. Must be the effect of driving the table up and down has an effect (which ideally should be adjusted for) and grease just smooths this out a little.

Robert James Rudzek likes this.
  5. Robert James Rudzek

Exactly! Movement up and down during the commissioning phase seemed fine on all four bearing rods... but once i turned her on, I had this high pitched "metal on pewter" kind of sound. Lithium Grease on the screw rods completely resolved that issue.