Z axis troubles

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Falc.be, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

I have had z-axis issues for some time , mainly with the bed leveling being inconsitent

When leveled the bed yesterday (mesh leveling) i had offsets of -0.9 to -1.1

Today,s first prints were fine, then he started to scratch the bed. After re leveling my offsets went up to -0.1 to -0.2

I have now noticed my threaded rods rods do not seem to be straight and the motors seem to skip in the last 20mm.

I have lowered the voltage of the stepper from 0.58 to 0.53 and it seemed to help a bit for the skipping.

I have already disassembled the entire bed twice and re aligned it, but it keeps persisting.

Im out of idea for the moment, should i just enable auto leveling ?

2. Mark Curry

Mark Curry Well-Known Member

You use either mesh or Auto Levelling... offsets and stuff are not used with mesh they are part of auto-levelling? With mesh forget about offsets... you dont need them. Just auto home, and then mesh level using paper. Done.

If your bed is moving after I suggest you look at how your probe is secured. The probe should be about 1.5mm from the glass bed, and as close to parallel as humanly possible.

Auto-levelling cannot compare with mesh IMHO. Mesh is simpler, more accurate and uniform. Follow the wiki on mesh if you are unsure, but it is dead easy

3. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Mesh leveling FTW.

There is also another branch of Marlin for universal bed levelling if youre feeling daring ;)

4. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

I found z-axis skipping but reduced my stepper voltages to 0.45v and that stopped the skipping. It took me a few attempts at mesh bed levelling to be happy with the results but then I didn't need to re-level for a long time afterwards. One of my screw rods also moves about a fair amount at the top when the bed is lower. So long as your guide rods are straight and parallel then the screw rods should be fine.

I've blutacked some short lengths of filament to my motor couplings. If they stop being in line then something's happened. I noticed I could move the axis if I pressed too hard when cleaning the bed or removing a print when the printer is turned off. Easy to do!

The only time I've had to re-level the bed recently is when I've replaced the nozzle. This threw out my auto home position so I re-levelled again.

5. Falc.be

- I have checked the position of the z probe over and over
    - I have once again disassembled the entire z carriage
    - played with the voltages

problem still persists and is even getting worse. sometimes the difference in values from the mesh leveling is more than 1mm

starting to give up on this

6. Falc.be

ah ffs

I just found out the store button in the menu doesn't work