Z-dragchain vs. printed Z-axis cover

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by Nibbels, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

When I drive down Z to 290mm the drag chain gets confused by the z axis motor-cable-cover.
    (Github: Motion-System/STLs/Motor Cable Cover.stl)
    https://github.com/e3donline/Motion-System/blob/master/STLs/Motor Cable Cover.stl

Screenshot_4.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Did anyone constuct a better version of the cover yet?
    I personaly think that the motor cable cover should have less height and more width so that the drag chain can take a stable place on it.

We could as well improve the construction for future buyers:
    - Why is the motor cable (or dragchain) not on the opposite side? My back panel has both cut-outs (motor cable cut-out and drag chain cut-out) on the same side of the z axis.
    - The "english flag like" cut-out in the bottom plate of the machine is so big that you see the motor cables from underneath. I would change that in the future. (I would not cut out stuff in the bottom plate at all.)
    Screenshot_6.jpg

2. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

That's my bad on the drag chain hitting the cable cover. I recommend removing two links from the dragchain to prevent this.

The dragchain is on the side it is to keep all the wires as close to each otrher as possible.

The base plate has the flag cut into it to reduce weight. I'll have a look at altering the design to cover the wires although not really that important.

THank you for the feedback :)

3. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

I put this on my snagging list the day I built it. I so rarely use a lot of z height it's been forgotten about since...

Greg_The_Maker likes this.
  4. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Couldn't we move the motor cable to the other side and mirror the cover? Then these two couldn't interfere to begin with.

yngndrw and Nibbels like this.
  5. smoki3

smoki3 Active Member

yes this would be the easiest way. I will do the cut out also on the other side in the elec panel. And will turn the z motor. The other cut out I will design a new cover with less height and will use it for the panel due cable

6. John Meacham

John Meacham Well-Known Member

Pretty hacky but if you put a wedge on top of the z cable cover the dragchain will be deflected to the side of it, it has enough lateral give to be able to do it. A useful temporary hack if you don't want to replace the cover completely or realize halfway through a print it is going to become an issue and you don't want to abort it.

7. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

I did draw, print and install another protective part ontop of the z motors cable.

Here are some pictures.
    Screenshot_2.jpg Screenshot_4.jpg Screenshot_5.jpg Screenshot_6.jpg Screenshot_7.jpg Screenshot_8.jpg Screenshot_9.jpg Screenshot_10.jpg

This is my solution. But I still recommend to follow Gregs recommendation:
    I like my cover alot more than the original one
    -> but the chain elements have absolutly no space left at the end of the z axis still.

Attached Files:

yngndrw and Greg_The_Maker like this.