Z Endstop

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Martyn Ranyard, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Martyn Ranyard

Hi All,

I've now got the printer up to the state of moving all axes and heating, which makes me very happy (thanks e3d for the fast replacement on the DOA rumba).

My biggest concern is the Z Endstop - if I home the z axis, it doesn't stop at the glass...

I'm fairly used to builds with a mechanical endstop, but in general they're not attached to the head, but the bed or carriage depending on the design.

How do I test the endstop, give it 5v on the red line, gnd the black and test for continuity between gnd and the third line? what kind of materials does it detect?

Thanks in advance for any input people have on this one?

2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I believe you can test continuity without feeding it voltage if its a mechanical switch. I haven't seen what comes with the BB yet.

Have you double checked you didn't plug in an endstop from a differnt axis?

3. Martyn Ranyard

It's not a mechanical switch, it's some kind of infrared distance sensor on the bigbox.

It's definitely on z- but doesn't seem to be triggering.

4. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

In that case I believe you are correct you will have to power the switch, I haven't played with those kind yet not sure if it allows for continuity or a high signal

I am guess you can just look for voltage not continutiy on the 3 wire

5. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

I believe there is a red led in the IR sensor and that led should be lit up when something is near. I think I have seen this in Olivia's live stream. Is the led working on your sensor?

6. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

It will detect just about anything, a finger for instance. There's a red LED that lights up when something is detected.

It is possible you've connected it backwards, I don't think this would damage it permanently but I don't know for sure.

7. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

Also make sure you have the 20 tooth pulley and the 16 tooth pulley in the right spots. I had them in the incorrect spot and the sensor would overshoot the bed and would never trip the Z.

#7 Steven Burns, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016