Z homing resetting frequently

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Sarah Nicholson, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I'm developing a bit of a love-hate relationship with my BigBox. A pattern is emerging where it will work quite nicely for a while and then suddenly for no apparent reason will start auto homing way above the bed.

Last night I did a few successful prints, shut it down and went to bed, and this morning my first attempt to print hit the same problem. The auto home stops with the bed about 2mm from the nozzles, the LED on the IR sensor is on. I definitely did store memory (multiple times!) after doing the bed levelling.

Any ideas what is causing this because it's driving me mad? The mesh levelling isn't too painful to do thankfully but at the moment I feel like I'm spending more time levelling the bed than I am printing.

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Is it OctoPrint causing the problem and does the LCD Control/Load Memory option restore the settings?

3. Sarah Nicholson

It seems unlikely since a lot of people are using it and presumably not having this problem. I've always printed from OctoPrint to this printer, it's never been directly connected, and it doesn't always happen. Sometimes I can go a few days without it happening, sometimes I have to relevel more than once a day.

Next time it occurs I'll try the restore option and see if it makes any difference.

4. mike01hu

Use the M501 code in your start-up script to restore the data. I don't think there is a Marlin bug that overwrites the EEPROM so your data should be recoverable. I suspect @Alex9779 will have a view on the issue.

5. Sarah Nicholson

Thanks, I'll give that a go and see if it helps.

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I see no point in restoring.m the settings each time. M501 does nothing else than the menu entry or what the firmware does on a fresh startup. So if you do it manually and your Z is off then why should it be fine on a print?
    Seems you have issues that your leveling setting get stored.
    Did you wait for the machine to stop moving after leveling then go straight to the menu and save?
    Do you home single axes? This is an open issue in RC6. Doing that disables the mesh bed leveling.

7. mike01hu

I knew there was more to it Alex, that's why I pointed to you as I couldn't find the thread where this was discussed before.

8. mike01hu

Alex has responded with an update on my comment.

9. Sarah Nicholson

Usually I level the bed and wait for it to rehome then store memory from the LCD.

Interesting to know about homing single axes, I don't usually do it but it is possible I might have done it once or twice via Octoprint which might account for some occasions this has happened. I'll pay close attention to how I'm doing things and see if there's any pattern.

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Homing with OctoPrint is currently nit recommended because it homes axes individually...

11. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Yes homing with octoprint makes a mess. My experience is use octoprint to send gcodes and for the camera. Avoid envy thing else, it can generate issues for anything.

12. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

I've been having a similar issue, but as I haven't done much printing recently I haven't had the chance to investigate fully.