Z Offset Issue with Pro

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Steven Burns, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

I have an odd issue that hopefully someone can assist with.

I just got my printer back from Livi (THANK YOU!!) and did a test print. The bed was a little high, but nothing to be concerned with.

The print finished and I shut don the machine for a while and when I came back to do another print I had a strange z-offset issue. I did an Autohome and then a bed level and the nozzle was pushing fairly hard against the glass. I change the z-offset from -0.96 to -1.00, stored, and had the same issue. I kept making the z-offset larger and larger. It is now set to -4.00 and the auto-level is still pushing up against the bed. I would assume at this offset that the nozzle should be miles away from the bed.

I have checked the sensor and it is wired correctly and trips as normal if I put a piece of paper or something under it.

Any thoughts as to what might be going wrong all of a sudden?

Thank you

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The "Autoleveling" system is a bit crap. I suggest modifying the firmware to use the Mesh leveling feature instead

3. Steven Burns

What settings do I change to do this? I am assuming I following the firmware flashing guide to download, change and then upload the new changes, but I need to know what values to change and where. Thanks

4. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

in configuration.h do the following:

//=========================== ManualBedLeveling ===========================
    //======================================================================

#define MANUAL_BED_LEVELING remove comments here
    #define MESH_BED_LEVELING

//============================ BedAutoLeveling ============================

//#define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_FEATURE comment out here

Mike Kelly likes this.
  5. Steven Burns

Thank you. This was perfect. Can't wait to try this tonight and dump the darn probe as it gives me nothing but headaches.

6. Steven Burns

well I made the changes, compiled and uploaded the new changes. The new mesh bed level routines are in the menu and now I just need to go through the process and see how it works.

Thanks for the help!!

7. Steven Burns

Last update for the night. I went through the mesh bed leveling steps and printed a 10X20 mm cube for a test. The layers are aligned perfectly with no top or bottom gaps. The cube measures 20.03mm x 20.07mm x 9.97mm high which is well within my tolerances.

For a first print after getting the printer back from Livi I think this is a VERY good start. I need to adjust the first layer a bit as it is a little too squished for my taste, but I may switch to rafts for a bit and then it does not really matter.

The mesh leveling is definitely the way to go and it really does not take very long. It took me about 5 minutes. The thing that it does do is get rid of the headaches of the IR sensor nonsense and move the sensor to strictly a Z-Stop, which is just fine.

Mike Kelly likes this.