Z probe failure? Toolchanger

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Dylan Hamm, May 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dylan Hamm

Dylan Hamm Member

I've had my toolchanger up and running for a few days, been dialing in my print settings on some CFPP material. Today when I started the machine through the DuetWifi browser control, I hit home all, and the Z Axis crashed into the XY Gantry, until I hit emergency stop.

I have since checked all connections to the Z switch, config file etc, and now I cannot get a registered reading from the Z switch.

Has anyone else had this component just up and fail on them?

I'm going to pull the part and try to order a replacement, hopefully it is hardware failure and not the connection to the Duet.

2. Dylan Hamm

Dylan Hamm Member

Figured it out. I was getting poor bed adhesion with the PPCF, and specs said to heat bed to 100C turns out doing adaptive leveling, plus just hovering that close over the hot build platform compromized the plastic bottom on the switch, warping it and leading to mechanical disengagement of the switch.

Pic shows fixed Mechanics after I cut away the messed up plastic.

Now I know. If you find yourself using high temps, reccomend finding a metal swtich. I'll post a part number if I find something decent that will fit.

Attached Files:

3. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

I did rip off 2 of those switches.
    Because formerly I had a selfmade bug within the tool change macro. So I bought a pack of them on ebay.

Search for D2HW within the forum or D2HW-C202M (I guess, I really know the exact version)
    But mine had the rubber at the end and the outer cables (red black) connected.

Dylan Hamm likes this.
  4. Dylan Hamm

Dylan Hamm Member

Thanks for the Tip. I did surgery on mine and its working until DigiKey can deliver replacements.

Fun fact, the spec sheet says those are rated to 80C, While the Build platform pushes up to 120C and most places recommend probing when its at operational temp to take into account thermal expansion.

Going to need to find a metal one and rig a mount. Cant finish my enclosure and start using Ultem until this thing is hardened.

Front door is done, Fans and Carbon filters on order, sigh. Had to be the $6 switch E3D went with. It should be billet aluminum like all their in house components.