Zesty Nimble

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Andy Cohen, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Joe Pomo

Joe Pomo Active Member

2. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

It may... seems to me that it adds unneeded complexity Vs simply mounting on the side using the back sides of the threaded holes for the rails.

3. Andy Cohen

Just as I expected Zesty just announced that shipments of the V2 are now pushed out till January. I would not bet on that date either. Supply chain management is not something you learn on the fly.

Joe Pomo likes this.
  4. Joe Pomo

Joe Pomo Active Member

Website now says "Shipping February". Hopefully that is an estimate!

5. Andy Cohen

You can also expect a price increase from what they said in their email to those who preordered. That is, later orders will cost more.

I went ahead and ordered one Hemera since it will likely be awhile before Zesty has a shipping product.

Joe Pomo likes this.
  6. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

I have a hemera head on mine; and I must say the extrusion control is amazing.. Pronounced ringing artifacts. I dropped the max inst direction change (jerk equiv?) parameter down 20% and it helped quite a bit. I'm sure its trivial to put this in the tool select and deselect scripts so you can have a jerk per tool easily enough.

7. Andy Cohen

Bondtech has shown the extreme value of dual hobbed gears for extrusion feeding. I've got em on most of my machines except the TC. Note, the StrataSys FDM extruders have always used dual hobbed gears.
    Like I said I have a Hemera on order, but it may be heading to a different printer and not the TC. Possibly an old Flashforge, one of my few machines without a Bondtech.

8. Jai Stanley

This is exactly where my head is with the Hemera. Might put it on another machine (alas, I'm giving away my most suitable machine: a HIGHLY modified CR-10 that was a workhorse for years) and am keeping the Hemera no matter what.

I have to say I'm somewhat unimpressed with the implementation for the TC machine. I don't know why, but I pictured a machined/custom solution and a smaller motor. I do have to note that after using it though: the extrusion control is absolutely fantastic. My problem is more with the way it looks/feels on the machine: as if that really matters in the long run. Turning down the jerk helped a lot but it still feels a bit janky.

I suspect that no-matter how good my own home-brew extruder is the Hemera is just going to have greater control due to the heatbreak design and short constrained path from gear to nozzle.

I still despair with the E3D nozzles having a different diameter that their heatbreaks though. There may be a very good reason I'm not appreciating (a liquified plenum for the plastic to provide a more laminar flow perhaps?) but it always seems to cause me issues when removing/retracting material. Big lump/blob on the end of the filament that 'ram purging' cant seems to eliminate. This gets well and truly stuck in the Hemera if you're not carful and retract very clowly to stretch the semi liquified filament to a thin whisp. I assume this is why Prusa have their own geometry. The hemera is simply a pain in the dick to load/unload in any automated fashion. I'll probably perfect it with trial and error, but my BMG based design is a dream to load/unload. The hemera I have to interact with, unlocking the feed tube, pushing the sprung section etc. Loading is a fiddly mess to, it just wont grab the filament off you, you have to manually load past the gears. The BMG based ones I'm prototyping is a matter of pushing filament in at the spool end till it grabs and loads itself, or retracting till the filament is at the gears and it pulls out.

9. Jai Stanley

There are some designs for nimble style extruders on thingiverse that have dual hobbed gears from bontech style extruders. On my to-do list is a prototype in a similar style that fits the TC. I need to source a good quality remote drive cable; and have found a few worm gear/pinions on ebay/aliexpress/engineering sites that would be ideal. That said; with the 0.25mm nozzle I am using on T0 it might be possible to print these too (anyone know of a good print surface for POM?).

I just got some small bearings and 5mm tool steel rods with this in mind. Watch this space I guess; but at the rate I'm getting things done it might be a while. I think I need a financial insentive: I want to turn my tinkering into a side-hustle soon as I've stopped actively seeking contract work since the baby came along and now I'm getting stir crazy and spending savings instead of having money come in (went self employed and had residual work enought to pay bills for the year).

10. Andy Cohen

Interesting comments on the Hemera operability and maintainability. I am going to look at these issues carefully for my review on the podcast. Since I purchased one I can now be painfully honest and fully disclose what I find to my listeners. When companies give us an eval and it's not a positive review one can get into a bind. We typically just don't do the review at all in those cases.

On making one's own dual geared nimble design... It seems to me it's performance is coupled to the level of torque they are getting from it. WAY more then any other feeder I've ever used including three different bondtechs.

On making money with 3DP... Thats a thread in and of itself. In a nutshell it's not at all what you may think it is. I've been there. I've done that. Now I'm doing something else.

11. Jai Stanley

Since writing that: I have perfected the load/unload, perhaps I was a bit hasty and assuming it would react similarly to my older BMGs..

I find that a small extrude to get the tip molten (say 10mm at 1mm/s or even 20mm at 5mm/s), then a slow retract of 100mm at 5 mm/s will allow the filament to not get jammed on the way out. Leaves an annoying long tail on the tip though, which needs to be snipped to re-insert the filament later. Also: when loading the filament, if you cut a chisel tip on the filamentand set an extrusion of say 100mm at 1mm/s it'll grab the filament and take it off you without interaction. I couldn't get it to work the same way as my BMG; that's all.

Making money with 3DP: I'm a former manufacturing engineer and technical sales; I'd be approaching it from that angle and/or a specific product requirement of my machine: not printing parts really. Like you said, a topic for another thread.

12. Rob Xaos

Rob Xaos Member

Take a look at:

https://flex3drive.com/

If you haven't already.

I was looking at them as an alternative to Nimble but also with a view to using them as a source of flex-drive, worm-gear/pinons. I may still go that route if the Nimbles are too long in delivery.

13. Micked

Micked Member

Funny, I just posted about the flex3drive: https://forum.e3d-online.com/threads/flex3drive-mount-custom-flexcable-bmg-extruder.3510/

In summary: The parts are solid, but in my hands the single drive is not good enough.